Skip to main content

Stock Price and Fundamentals

Jim Cramer:
Even at the height of my firm, Cramer Berkowirtz, I managed only about $450 million for a bunch of wealthy families, a pittance compared to the major mutual funds arid some large hedge funds that control the marginal dollar that determines stock prices at the end of' the day. I mention this to drill into your head the importance considering supply and demand of the stock at all times. That's because way too many people get confused; they think we are trading the actual companies themselves, that the pieces of paper we are trading, investing, owning, are sort of redemptive right, a coupon that will give you certain cents off, or an ownership right that will allow You to have a chunk of the brick and. mortar if not the cash in the treasury of' the joint, Untrue. These are, in the end, simply pieces of paper, to be bought, sold, or manipulated up and down by those with more capital than others. All other investment books stress the linkage between the stock and the company. Me? I stress the abject lack of short-term linkage and the opportunities that such an unconnectedness presents. While it is true that over the very, very long term-say your lifetime-stocks should indeed reflect the fundamentals, over the short term, the twelve- to eighteen-month time frame that is most applicable to most owners these days like it or not that's how long most stocks are held-the fundamentals of the company play only a part in what moves a stock up or down. In fact, I believe the reason that so many professional managers and amateurs fail to beat the market or make big money is that: they are way too hung up on the largely artificial linkage, short-term, between a company's health and the health of the stock. I think that deep down they like the linkage because it makes them feel that they aren't gambling with their money (or their clients' money). They think that if they stay focused on the fundamentals they have turned gambling into investing. I wish I could be so glib. I wish I could focus only on the company arid not the stock, because it would be much easier. But it would also be much less lucrative.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More about Market Timing

There has been talks about end year rally during the earlier parts of this year. Particularly in February to March period when the market was suffering from 'temporary' set back. During that time, even though the European Debt crisis were looming, the Asian economy was still booming. However, as the time passes, the European Debt crisis becomes more apparent. Countries were finding it more and more difficult to cover up. More facts emerge and picture became clearer. The earlier investor pull back and market began the down trend again. In such time, we will invariably turn to tools that we think will help us to foresee such events. This is where macro economic theory comes in. However, for traders who are not well read on such topics, they want to use some thing faster and easier. Then, Technical Analysis comes into play. Using technology, TA can be very fast and handy. Here is a classic example of using TA: http://www.etfguide.com/research/705/8/The-Chart-That-Trumps-Anal...

Is Silver Price Lagging Behind Gold Price?

You probably had been hearing a lot about this. I kept hearing this from seminars and some investment gurus. So, I decided to do a simple research and analysis. Here is what I had come up with: The table below shows the Price Ratio of Gold/Silver and the 5-YR Simple Moving Average. To see better, plot a chart to see how the ratios moves over the years. I'd plotted using annual and its 5 period simple moving average. This chart showed that the average price ratio advanced over the years. However, recent 10 years, there seems to be some fluctuations. In fact, it seems that silver price had advanced more aggressively than gold price resulting in a drop of the price ratio. I don't know what the experts based on. If silver price were to advance more than gold, it will bring the ratio even lower near to the ratio 20 years ago. However, if you based on recent 10 years, silver price has to retreat or gold price has to advance in order to go back to the average. Even though the current ...

How to do technical analysis for stocks?

I started investing in stock market about 20 years ago. Initially subscribing to IPOs. I had not have luck with IPOs. All of them ended with money losing deal, even though I held on to them for a few years. So, I concluded that the IPOs in Singapore market is over priced. Then I started to read analyst reports on stocks and invest in companies (typically blue chips). Not much profit but good dividends during the good years. Then, came the financial crises. I went on to buy blue chip companies during crises and I held them over the years and sold of a about 120% gain over 5 years on average. Due to some distraction, I stayed away from the market during this crisis and missed the opportunity to buy during the lows. Recently (few months ago), I had been doing some stock trading and currency trading using technical analysis method for more than a year. So far, I had tried many different technical analysis using different indicators (Moving averages, MACD, RMO, Fibonacci, Stochastics, RSI e...